Thursday, October 7, 2010

Red suede shoes


These came from a vintage clothing store I wandered in a few weeks ago. I wasn't really in a buying mode, but there they were, red, suede peep-toe Bettye Muller pumps, to die for. Made in Italy. My size! Needless to say, had to have them.

I know. I know. Second-hand shoes? Trust me, these are the shoes Cinderella's fairy godmother would have put her in if the ball was held in the fall. They're more an amber red. like fall leaves in sunshine than candy-apple red, which is so obvious. Anyway, I woke up this morning full of tears -- my niece is sick and hurting herself, my mom's depressed, my marriage is ... well ... as Eleanore Roosevelt said, "Cry in the bathroom, come out smiling, dear." So I was all set to wear boots - black like my mood - but then I saw The Shoes. I put them on, all the awful news be damned, I started to smile. They're defiant and strong and sexy and grown up, all the things I wish my sweet niece (and so many countless of other women I know) would feel. My advice? The world can be brutal, so get yourself some really great shoes and kick up your heels.

1 comment: