Friday, May 22, 2009

sisters

my family has scattered like leaves, and for years i haven't seen my step-sister, not since my step-father's funeral. it's never made sense, this leave-taking, since we used to do everything together. (lots of really awful living room productions of grease!) but yesterday she called out of the blue and we saw each other for the first time in over 20 years! we went to the oyster bar in grand central station (my step-dad's favorite stop-over before boarding the commuter train back to the suburbs) and talked and talked. seeing her beautiful, smiling face -- in fact, seeing anyone dear to me who's been absent -- always reintroduces me to myself, and makes me feel just little bit more whole. i wonder, do these suspended fractures happen to other siblings?

2 comments:

  1. What a dear post! And I just love the photo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sweet sister, they do. Andrew Crawford wacx65@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete